A pretty great repeat client of mine recently brought me this very solid desk for a makeover. Her husband had a desk with no storage, and who needs that, right? So they purchased this desk from a school. I assume it was a teacher’s desk.
They saw and loved the recent dresser makeover I had done for my son – a brushed metallic look. So they requested the same look on the desk.
Here are the products I used.
(These are affiliate links from which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you)
If you want a reference booklet on all of Dixie Belle’s products, you can download my FREE Comprehensive Guide to Dixie Belle Chalk Mineral Paint by clicking this picture:
I started by cleaning the piece really well with White Lightning, and then rinsing with clean water. Using my favorite synthetic mini brush, I painted 2 coats of Hurricane Gray. On the second coat, I usually spray mist with my water bottle as I go to keep the paint smooth. You can mist the piece, or the brush. It’s a matter of preference, but either way works.
The next step is applying black wax. I did this in small sections with a big natural bristle brush, and then immediately wiped and blended it with a shop cloth. This is when you start to get the metal look, thanks to the variation in color and texture it creates.
The top was a bit of a nightmare, I’m not gonna lie. I should have seen that black magic marker and known to seal it with BOSS. After all, BOSS stops bleed-through. Instead, I painted a coat of Coffee Bean. Then, another coat of Coffee Bean with some Tobacco Road blended in. Then 2 coats of Satin Clear Coat, and THEN the bleed-through began.
See the marks that came up through the paint? The liquid top coat can make this happen. If I had waxed the top instead, I likely wouldn’t have had the issue.
Soooo, much as I didn’t want to start over, I had to start over. I painted 2 coats of BOSS, and then repeated the Coffee Bean and Tobacco Road. After 1 coat of sealer, I could still see some faint bleed-through. Friends, I was over it by then! So, my solution was to add some black into the blending, strategically placed over the spots.
After some final sealing, I called it done.
My client also asked for a fun geometric pattern to be added to the drawer sides. I happened to have this harlequin stencil, so I was happy to use it. I painted a coat of Buttercream for the base, and stenciled the pattern using Silver Bullet metallic. This is a pretty combination I’ll have to remember for the outside of a piece.
To finish off the look, I spray painted the existing hardware with Rustoleum Hammered Silver.
If you want to see the desk I painted for the wife of this client couple, you can check it out here:
Leave me a Comment and let me know your painting questions, or your current project. I’d love to get to know you!