This classic MCM Lane chest of drawers took a long and winding road to become the navy blue dresser it is today. I originally rescued it from my uncle’s barn. A little bit dirty, but it was in great shape. But, here is where things quickly started to go south.
I wasn’t feeling any particular color inspiration (although navy had crossed my mind), so I asked my teenage daughter for suggestions. She chose pink ombre, and since ombre was pretty popular at the time, I went with it. I didn’t have any pink paint on hand, but thought I could mix some up. Color mixing is not my strong suit. I would say I achieved a Pepto Bismol pink.
Needless to say, it didn’t sell. I didn’t even try very hard to sell it. Sometimes you just know you’ve missed the mark, and you don’t have the heart to market a piece that isn’t a good representation of you. So from there, it sat in my garage for over a year. When I finally pulled it into my workshop for another paint job, it only took me a couple days to give it a whole new look.
First, I sanded it a little just to ensure my surface was nice and smooth. Then I decided to paint a coat of clear BOSS (which is a primer). I don’t think it really needed it, but it adds a little grip and a little insurance that everything will adhere well.
Next came two coats of In the Navy, a beautiful deep rich navy blue color. I could have stopped there, but it was a little plain. The drawers have a built-in curved handle, so the lack of hardware makes it even plainer. To remedy this, I took a Stick and Style stencil, and painted Gold Digger metallic gold across the drawer fronts. I only had to roll out one section of the self-adhesive stencil, and re-use it on every drawer. I find this type of stencil the easiest to use because the paint doesn’t bleed underneath it; it stays very crisp.
I love how bright and shiny the gold metallic is, but for this dresser I wanted to tone it down a bit so it looked more aged and less brand new. I painted on Van Dyke brown glaze with a chip brush, and immediately wiped it back with a paper towel. In the picture above, the bottom drawer is glazed, and the top drawer is not so you can see the difference it makes. It also took off a little gold paint in areas, creating more variation of color. I only glazed over the stencil design, not the drawer handles or top or sides of the dresser.
Finally, I sealed the whole piece with Satin Clear Coat. I think the finished piece has kind of a Moroccan feel. It’s so much more sophisticated than the pink!
When I went to stage and photograph this piece, I didn’t like the navy blue dresser up against my new French linen brick staging wall. It just seemed to clash and it was too busy. So I turned my brick panel around, and used the streaky brown back of it. Kinda weird, but I actually think this set off the dresser perfectly.
(These are affiliate links from which I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you)